*If you or the person you are trying to help with their digital media addiction is violent or may hurt themselves or others, then seek professional help. Do not try to deal with digital media addictions alone. Digital media include: video games, social media, streaming movies, internet porn, and anything facilitated by the digital screen causing dysfunction in multiple areas of a person’s life.
These steps are provided only as a guideline and should not be considered medical advice.
- Try first a digital media fast at home. Victoria Dunckley MD’s book is an excellent resource that will walk you and your family through this 30-day fast: Reset Your Child’s Brain (Available on Amazon.com)
- We also recommend that your digital media addict reads Dr. Doan’s book: Hooked on Games (Available on Amazon.com).
- If in-home digital media fast fails, then consider sending your teen to Teen Missions International where they will undergo an electronic device fast and serve on a mission trip. Teen Missions International can help with a digital media fast for teens that are not considered clinically addicted to digital media. If your child or an adult is clinically addicted to digital media, then consider options below.
- Consider a residential rehab program:
- During detox, after detox, and after rehab, consider finding a therapist or life coach familiar with digital medial addictions: